Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Hercules and Hydra on the old Comic Cover 1978 (re-release from 1968?)

Thanks to The Crapbox of Son Of Cthulhu's blog, I got to rediscover the whole old comic and not just the cover.

http://crapboxofcthulhu.blogspot.com/2018/03/hercules-10.html

Always reminded me of the 1970s cartoon Godzilla, but now I hear this thing was drawn in 1968. 

Who is greeny? 



Above... so besides loving the cover, this makes me recall that as a youngster I was bothered a little by the first page with the small green monster with snake arms(?) and wings... it looked like a weaker version of the giant Hydra on the cover. What is it? Anyway, this comic surely introduced me to much of the Greek mythology that I've always enjoyed.

And then below... check out this old painting, Pollaiuolo's Hercules and the Hydra (c. 1475version on Wikipedia. The Hydra heads are wolves!! They have the ears, the teeth, and even the dots for whiskers on the side of their snouts. Fun stuff. I always enjoyed the well-done mammalian reptile dragons and such. Smaug from the Hobbit cartoon comes to mind.


Good ole Smaug, the cat-wolf dragon:


I just found out it was a Japanese team of animators that made that detailed and impressive Smaug. Thanks dudes!
  • Animators – Kazuyuki Kobayashi, Tadakatsu Yoshida, Hidemi Kubo, Yukiyoshi Hane, Hidetoshi Kaneko, Kazuko Ito
  • Animation Coordinator – Toru Hara
  • Animation Supervisor – Tsuguyuki Kubo
  • Character Designers – Lester Abrams, Tsuguyuki Kubo
  • Background Designer – Minoru Nishida
  • Animation Directors – Katsuhisa Yamada, Koichi Sasaki

Ah yes, the shakey animation... now I see the Japanese influence. Very cool:


No comments:

Post a Comment