Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Bird Box - I dunno about this one

Originally I was going to avoid seeing because I wanted to see "A Quiet Place" first, since this felt a little derivative. But my wife started watching so then I watched it with her. And maybe I was just in the wrong frame of mind, but I really did not enjoy it. Allow me to rant to myself.

The bad. 

1. I was disappointed that the creatures weren't shown. Having seen the leaked ugly baby mask that they were going to use, I am now glad they weren't shown. The drawings were actually awesome, and my favorite part of the movie, go figure.

2. Sandra B. not naming the kids/the kids acting the way they did in that kind of environment/anything to do with the kids was completely and utterly not believable for me.

3. I felt like it was some sort of alien invasion movie for the most part, but if it was that then nothing made any sense at all. The crazy people being happy/underlings. The inability of the creatures to do anything physical like go into a house or whatever.

4. If it had been demons, then stuff would have made sense. It just didn't feel like demons ever to me.

5. Eye CGI. Does not scream demon to me.

6. Leaf CGI. Does not scream demon to me.

7. No real supernatural feel to it, just more like mind-control tech.

8. I called the blind people thing about 30 minutes into the movie, I swear, ask my wife!

9. It felt very annoying watching how helpless everyone was. I guess that was supposed to be the point of the movie, but I just got irritated by it.

10. End of the world stuff is just getting old lately... I mean the last what 10 or 15 years that's almost all we get.


The good.

1. Maybe it was demons. If they were all demons, and this whole thing a religious affair, then yeah, I'm much more on board with it. To me though, it felt anything but that during the actual viewing of the movie. Besides the novel writer guy's speech, it never felt like heaven or hell had anything to do with that universe. Which, by the way, once invisible monsters start walking the streets and destroying human life to that extent, you better believe people would suddenly find religion.

2. The acting was fine with all the big names doing their normal thing as well as they normally do.

3. The drawings. Man I love 'em! Like really. What do we have here... a squidhead, a gas mask skeleton, a skull on a multi-legged creature, ... oh, the white eyed big checkbones monster face is the best, lots of scary teethy maws. All great stuff!







No comments:

Post a Comment