Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2019

Black Mirror Bandersnatch

So I've watched a little over half of the Black Mirror TV series so far, it's January 7, 2019 now. I did just recently watch the new movie, Bandersnatch, and really enjoyed the hell out of it. Part of the horror of it was at least one of my kids was watching it as intently as me and was cringing worse than me when we "had" to pick the "chop him up" option. Yikes, ... parenting in today's entertainment landscape is tricky!

Here's our hero, umm no not exactly... ok protagonist (I think):

Old joysticks were just cool. 
Some of the fun is the backstory, nods to things, and Easter eggs.

1. Lewis Carroll of Alice in Wonderland fame... lots of nods, actually the whole thing is named after his Bandersnatch. The  mirror. The he's "in a hole/pit" gets repeated a lot. The white rabbit stuff. Not to mention Bandersnatch is an invention by Lewis Carroll! (Thanks commentor on that youtube video!).

2. There is an old software company from the 1980s that apparently Tuckersoft is somewhat based on. Imagine Software - google this: Documentary (1984-Paul Anderson): The rise and fall of Imagine Software.

3. I really need to show the kid the deal with the computer data audio (sounds almost like a modem) during the after-credits bus and walkman scene... leads to a ZX computer display/video which gives a QR code which in turn leads you to a website that lets you download Nosedive (Nohzdyve).

Note the little "choice tree" symbol that they use a lot in Bandersnatch and White Bear. 


4. Note to self, don't overfill your oil in your small engine machine... or otherwise... it'll get bubbles in the oil which leads to oil not getting to the right places and your engine will eventually overheat and die.

5. Yeah I swear there are a bunch more things to talk about with Bandersnatch... and since this is sort of a record of history type blog I guess I better copy paste some of the important ones:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/black-mirror/Bandersnatch_Endings

https://www.ign.com/wikis/black-mirror/Bandersnatch_Walkthrough

Engings
-History repeats itself with Pearl in teh future trying to do the game again.
-Jail ending.
-Surreal Film ending 1 (though I wouldn't call it a "film", it feels like an alternate reality mindf#*& with actors) where there is a maybe campy action fight scene
-A Film ending where a director calls cut and names our main star as his real name "Mike" or something... I didn't see this one yet, you have to jump out the window.
- The sad bus with mom ending, and the "best/true" ending.

Good info here: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/12/220434/bandersnatch-black-mirror-real-life-game

And this post wouldn't be complete without the monster from it, the Pax Demon... and damn if google can't find it easily:

From the game.

From I don't know. 
Bandersnatch on the right via wikipedia. Peter Newell the artist for the Lewis Carroll poem and/or Through the Looking Glass. 
While we are at it, I always loved the Jabberwocky:

This monster wears "shoes" and a vest. The shoes are part of his feet, I love it though it weirds me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment