Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Dune part 2 (2024) vs. part 1 vs. 1984 Dune

 1984 Dune was always dear to me... not much I ever felt weird about other than the funky shields on people, the shuttle-shaped aircraft (yuck, almost like the Star Trek Enterprise shuttles... almost as bad as real life space shuttles), and... maybe that's it? Watching as an adult, the bigger red-headed nephew of the Baron Harkonnen was not quite as smooth an actor maybe? The rest of it was just great. 

So when Dune 1 came out a couple of years ago, I was hopeful but had medium expectations. It blew me away, BLEW ME AWAY! The only slight gripe was the sparseness of it, sort of similar to Blade Runner 2049... I can do that comparison b/c it's the same director, right? I like the older style in the original Blade Runner and the original Dune, when it comes to details, grittiness, and that realistic feel. However, and this is a big however, the recent Dune 1 did so much good that the sparseness didn't bother me one bit, and I felt like it worked in a dune desert world much better than in a Blade Runner world. 

Now Dune 2, what did I think? It was definitely good, but when I saw it I was probably not in the right mood b/c it didn't blow me away the same way part 1 did. However, I think I'll enjoy it more on a rewatch. I did miss Jason Momoa and some of the other characters. Thew new Feyd was pretty good, hard to live up to Sting in a way, but pretty darn good and more details of course. The baldness... meh. 

What's good with Dune 2? Well, the dragonfly ships were just as awesome, I just can't get enough of them. The worms are awesome and impressive. 



Fremen are pretty darn cool in every movie. I will say in Dune 1/2 the weird racial mix still throws me off... I am so into evolutionary biology stuff lately, the genetics just wouldn't seem to express the way they would if people of mixed races were living together for centuries and having babies together. Unless you assume they are all super racist and only marry people that look similar to themselves... but that's not at all the way it felt. Unless there were countries that were separated by impassible mountains and deserts, but none of that is the case in the books or movies. Anyway, a nitpick of all 2020-2024 movies and shows. At least they try to explain No Country for Old Men's Javier Bardem's accent, I guess. Getting past that, a lot of/maybe all of the Fremen actors were great. Wait let me back up for one more nitpcik, not against the actors/actresses abilities whatsoever, but I do much prefer the style of personality of the young Fremen warrior women in Dune 1984 than how they act in Dune 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment