Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

What's next. OK, I've got to find this old horror comic. I never really got comics as a kid, except when I went to the dentist. No, my parents were extra nice on dentist day... we got to sit around for 4 hours sometimes as the whole family minus-dad took turns getting poked, prodded, and scraped by an old school cigarette smoking dentist back before the helpers did the cleaning. He would get you nice and bleeding and good n' sore the next day. But hey, at least you could rinse with actual bleeping water and spit nonstop. Where do the comics come into play? This dentist was pretty cool in that he had tons of comics he'd let the kids go through, and they got to pick one or two to bring home each visit.

Yeah so... this horror comic. It had a cover with a sort of bluish werewolf hand with I think 6 fingers curled up in a swiping claw position. Actually no I think it had the monster swiping a guy and slashing him through his shirt across his chest or something. Damn it, I have to find this thing.

So as I'm googling this thing once again, I am running across all these old Weird Tales covers. Man, something about the fantasy and horror art of yesteryear just does it so much better than pop-part today.

Weird Tales, random:
Image result for weird tales comic

Image result for weird tales comicImage result for weird tales comic

Another clue... I think the monster is coming out of the guy's dream... like the guy might be sleeping and the monster is drawn small at the waist popping out of his mind/dream and then enlarging to life-sized and taking a swipe at him. I really think I found this thing at least once on the internet... time to find it again!!!!

I really like the old out of date drawings of dinosaurs from my childhood and prior eras, btw. You know, nothing bothers me more than somebody trying to say T-Rex had a bunch of feathers. BS. Anyway, this guy has class:

Image result for terror tales

And while I'm changing the subject, anybody know what movie from probably the 1960s had 3 or 4 or so guys in spacesuits exploring a reddish planet where I think fleshcolored snake monsters came up out of some liquid pools to attack them? No I'm not talking about Prometheus. These things were sort of snakey/worm things and I think they tried to strangle you.

Speaking of comics from the dentist, this Hercules and Hydra cover was the stuff. I loved this thing so much... right up there with Godzilla-anything I had back then.


And this Eerie stuff... man I swear this cover art is super old but if it is Dark Horse maybe it's not. I like it! (UPDATE: Yeah this is a super old Frank Frazetta like you'd expect... really good stuff) :

Still can't find this damn 6 fingered claw dream horror comic. But I will say this... the new Grinch's scary grin in 2018:

just mother #$%@ing pales in comparison to the original:
Like big time. My kids always get worked up before this scene because, well, the son of a gun is pretty evil looking in the original. Yeah, we sang along to the Grinch song driving to and from their grandparents' yesterday... good stuff!

Holy smokes I am still looking... this is about to make me crazy. Here's my 2 minute super detailed (heheh) Windows MS Paint version of the cover... if somehow somebody sees this and knows what it might be I would be forever grateful... it was probably made around 1979, 1980, 1981... the cover was I think greys, greens, and purples mostly:



Soooo, still haven't found it, but there is a lot of cool stuff out there. Also a lot of stuff out there. This website has been the most helpful so far, just started using it... I believe if I find this thing, this site will supply the answer!!! Hipcomic:

https://www.hipcomic.com/category/comic-books_bronze-age-1970-83/?item_specifics_03_genre[]=horror-sci-fi&parent_id=110&item_specifics_01_main_character=not-specified&page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment